Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Linkedin.com Response: PMbok Error ?

Error in Glossary of PMBOK 3rd Edition? - I have observed that the definitions of Verification and Validation are vice-versa at Pages 328 & 329 in PMBOK, 3rd Edition. I know and I have learned that Verification is been done with the requirements in each phase of the project life cycle and validation is been done to validate the project execution in the user environment after implementing the project.

I hate to sound like I'm quoting quantuum theory here but the reality is that neither one of these groups have presented a definitive basis for their terminology. CMMi and PMBOK are merely efforts by professionals in similar fields to characterize aspects of information technology related methodologies.

There are many more methodologies beyond these two and I'm quite certain that you'll find further variation in the terms. You've run across the one truly great unsolved dilemma of IT - semantics.

One easy way to conceptually bypass PMBOK's confusion here is to consider that validation is actually "acceptance" if viewed from the end user or functional advocate's perspective.

Copyright 2008, Semantech Inc.

No comments: